Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day 2 of 30 - Beautiful Books

What I am thankful for today: Books!


Books have always been an important part of my life. The things I've read have helped shape the person I am today.



My mom really encouraged my love of reading. We didn't have a lot of money and I didn't get all the toys I wanted, but I don't ever remember her denying me a book I wanted to buy. I have boxes of my childhood books in the basement and they still mean so much to me.



When I got a little older, I fell in love with old books. The first one I bought at an antique store was Irving's Sketchbook. The first Christmas Chad and I were together for, he gave me this huge box full of old books. I knew he was a keeper then :)



Some books I buy for the title, but for many books, I buy them because they are gorgeous. They just don't make them like this anymore!



I love the character and mystery of old books.




It's interesting to think about all the other people that have owned these books before me. I love looking at their drawings and the things they've written.




My love of books is not limited to old books though. I am a voracious reader and I'm so thankful for the impact that books have made on my life. I've learned a lot of life lessons from books. They've allowed me to travel to different places and times, opening my eyes and mind to things I've never experienced. They provide an escape from bad days and worries.

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot




And sometimes they surprise you!

No comments:

Post a Comment